Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Day 9

Ok...I'm really excited that I was able to rid the freezer of FOUR items tonight!!!
Non-fried homemade chicken tenders...totally easy...boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips, dipped in some buttermilk and then rolled in a light coating of seasoned Panko breadcrumbs then FREEZE them like that on a cookie sheet until they're hard as rocks and then stick em in a bag and keep them in there until you decide to start a project like this! I found a partial bag of Trader Joe's fries (also baked) and decided to make this weird veggie side dish recipe similar to something I once saw Nigella Lawson make....

Start with frozen peas
Photobucket
(I had two partial bags)
Photobucket
onion, bacon (or in my case, a piece of lunchmeat ham, and a romaine heart). Chop it all into little bits. Saute the onion and bacon/ham in a tiny drizzle of olive oil until the bacon/ham is crispy and the onion is soft. Add FROZEN PEAS to this and heat through and then throw in your romaine at the end to wilt a bit. Add some salt and voila...veggie.

Here is Kevin's plate...
Photobucket

Here's mine...
Photobucket
I opted for a chicken tender on top of a big ol' salad.

Tomorrow will just be me (like most Wednesdays), so who knows what might happen!

5 comments:

  1. Laura - I love chicken! I have to say that again I like the way Kevin's plate look. I am a sucker for french fries, even the baked variety. I just had breakfast but you already have me thinking about lunch and dinner!

    Stubby xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, those chicken tenders sound YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things I love is how you show that the meal can simply be adapted to please Kevin (a meat-eating man) and yourself (someone watching weight), you know? I really, really, REALLY need to take a page out of your book, here. I joined Weight Watchers and you're SUCH an inspiration, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow what a neat salad idea. :) Nigella isn't exactly the healthiest eater but her stuff is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great recipe!
    i love seeing what you make everyday! you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete