Saturday, June 20, 2009

Day 12

As promised...Day 12 is a good one. My mom used to make this when it was HOT outside because it doesn't involve heating up the oven. I think she used to make this in an electric skillet and I remember we used to eat it in the basement at the card table where it was cool (this was before central A/C was commonplace!) I think the official name is "Yankee Beef and Vegetables" but I call it "That ground beef veggie thing you eat when it's hot outside"

Photobucket
Takes about a pound of ground beef (normally I buy the lean stuff...but I goofed and got the 80/20 as you can see here...ugh). Throw in a box or two of Birds Eye New England Style veggies...the kind with the little shell pasta mixed in them. Brown it all up together and then add a slurry of about 1/2 cup milk, a teaspoon of flour and a few glugs of Worcestershire sauce. It will thicken up like a gravy and look like this...
Photobucket
Ok...the pics look like something you'd find on the pavement of a carnival, but I PROMISE you that it's good.

Just ask Kevin...
Photobucket

I had a salad, but won't bore you with those pics...especially since it contained NOTHING freezer related.

3 comments:

  1. hi laura!
    what a great meal and i love that it has all of those wonderful memories attached to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha it kind of looks like hamburger helper with some veggies lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it tastes better that in looks. HA! :-) I have a chicken recipe that I cook frequetnly that is totally delicious but looks like mud. So I get ya.

    ReplyDelete